Monday, May 11, 2015

The Desert......



 
 
 
 
 
When I first read The Desert by Benjamin Alire Saenz the first thing that popped into my head was not religion was not sexually but his journey to America. Now I am Hispanic and no I'm not racist in any form but the way he says "I came to you one rainless August night.You taught me how to live without the rain." sound like when he first started on his journey to America. How he started in an august night and how the dessert taught him how to live without rain. But then everyone said religion and I re-read the poem again, it all made sense. He went to god in august, he says how he (god) is everything sand, wind, sun, and burning sky.Then his verse saying salvame mi dios.... save me god it just all came together.....

3 comments:

  1. I loved you blog post! I went and read this poem after reading this post. I got the same interpretation

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed our conversation in class about this poem. After doing the assessment, I read all of the other perspectives on the poem with most of them saying that they saw it as a religious writing. I also went back to it and reread the poem and I could definitely see where everybody else interpreted it as being religious. I also read it again with the different perspectives that Professor Hamon suggested and I got something different out of it every time. This is my new favorite poem. I've never read anything that I could get so many different feelings out of in that short of a period of time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice Poem, I got the same impression as you, but I am spanish too therefore the last two lines of this poem made me understand better what was the poem about. Saenz writes very different and makes the reader to get into the story while thr reader is getting different ideas from the same poem. Very nice job!

    ReplyDelete