Mary Grace
In the revelation there is a young girl who has came home from college named Mary Grace. She is with her mother at the doctors office reading her book while the other ladies including her mother are having a conversation. In this conversation they are talking about how the white race is better than then the blacks and so on. One of the ladies named Mrs. Ruby Turpin attempts to talk to Mary Grace but Mary Grace does not pay her no mind. This leads for her mother to answer all the questions that Mrs. Turpin is asking, her mother is embarrassed by her daughters behavior but nevertheless continues with the conversation. As the ladies continue their conversation Mary Grace is listening to everything Mrs.Turpin is saying, she is making noises with her teeth and giving her this stare. The stare which makes Mrs.Turpin notice her even more. Mrs. Turpin makes a comment "I think the worst thing in the world"... "is an ungrateful person. To Have everything and not appreciate it. I know a girl".... she goes on by continuing to be little Mary Grace. When Mrs. Turpin is asked if the "girl" is to young to be paddle (to be spanked) she responded with "yes, I am afraid there's nothing to do but leave her folly. Some day she will wake to and it will be to late". This comment makes Mary Grace feel some type of way that makes her throw a book at Mrs. Turpin and choke her and what is descried in the short story is that she goes into a seizure. Mary Grace then gets sedated but before she closes her eyes she tells Mrs. Turpin "go back to hell where you came from, you old hog". Why would she say this to the lady most of you could be asking. Well Mary Grace is going to college up north where blacks and whites are starting to come together and this has yet to have happened in the south. As Mary Grace hears the way Mrs.Turpin talks about black people you notice from the gestures that she makes that all this is bothering her. At which point she has had enough and lashes out at her also telling her the truth about herself. This comment that Mary Grace has said leaves Mrs.Turpin confused, distraught, wondering why she has said this about her. If I was in Mary Grace position I wouldn't have changed anything of what she did. I think Mrs. Turpin deserved to her those words from someone who wasn't afraid to tell her, she deserved to hear the truth about herself.
I agree with you Karen if I was in Mary Grace position I would have done the same too, Mrs Turpin deserved it.
ReplyDelete